Racism Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

 
Some days are perfect days. I go about my business with minimal negative contact with white people and breathe a sigh of relief when I walk back through my door. Another evening has come and we have survived. My family has survived the struggle another day.

Other days, the racist slings and arrows fall so hard and so fast, it's hard to fend them all off. They leave wounds that are deep and take a long time to heal. Even the ones that heal leave deep and lasting scars that leave me ducking and defensive for days, weeks, years to come.

And then there are the incidental reminders of the struggles all people of color face. The blatant hatred and barely hidden degradation that I see plainly and most white people really can't be bothered to recognize, let alone understand.

But there comes a time when even white people must begin to realize that all the "isolated incidents" of bigotry and racism are really just part and parcel of the larger system of American Apartheid.

I'd like you take a good long look at the pictures above. Look at each face. Look at everything those pictures represent, then, now and in the future.

And after you look at them, please explain to me why I should patient with white folks ignorance and hatred as I am often implored to do?

Read the following headlines and stories and understand why my patience is at an end.


Cliven Bundy Muses On What He Knows 'About The Negro'

L.A. Clippers Owner to GF: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

#myNYPD Campaign Inspires Global Awareness Of Police Brutality

Comments

Popular Posts