Team White Jay

Yeah,I know.

Months of barely posting or not at all. Then it's like I woke up and thought it was still Black History Month.

I feel you.

But white people are just interesting to me right now- in a tear your hair out in frustration because even the nicest white people seem to do the same racist crap as people who are obvious bigots. And then it hurts even more because- although there's always that element of surprise, no matter how prepared I think I am to confront racism and bigotry when it's put in my face- when white people that I think are cool do or say racist things, it's disappointing and frightening.It's hard enough to carve out safe spaces among white people and then here's one more person I now know I can't trust.

There are four websites I read practically every day, no matter what.

Crooks and Liars
Racialicious
Free Range Kids
FARK

Racialicious hipped me to a web series called Awkard Black Girl, which, I honestly, they've written about several times but I didn't actually watch until I read their latest account of internet racists piling on this series.

It seems that the "Awkard Black Girl" series won a coveted web award called the Shorty Awards. Quicker than you can say Jim Crow, white people were jumping on the racist bandwagon accusing the awards of practicing "affirmative action", proclaiming a series they  had never watched "unworthy" of an award and more racist bullshit that you'll just have to read for yourself.

Before I even got through the article, I went and watched the series and it's hillarious in "is this girl spying on my life, why the hell didn't I think of this, completely laugh out loud funny" kind of way.

So here's the thing that's pissing me off about white people today:

White folks can make themselves believe anything EXCEPT the fact that most black folks are hard-working, law-abiding Americans.

I live in a world where white people often assume that I'm an ignorant, unintelligent, thief and probably a welfare recepient, dependent on their largesse and that if I have a job at all, I got it through Affirmative Action.

Conservaitve white people despise Affirmative Action, thinking it unfair, oddly in a world where white people wouldn't hire blacks for any but the most menial tasks unless and still wouldn't unless they were forced to do otherwise.

And even in this day and age, there are far too many black people who can honestly say that they are "the only one" in their office of maybe one of two, which is the case where I work.

And so, the fact that I went to school, earned a degree, searched high and low for a job until I found one and I'm good as hell at it - all of that is secondary to one fact for most white folks: I'm black, therefore I'm not really qualified, they just made a special exception for me, or the company is trying to boost their EOE profile.

And when you think about most of the complaints that white people have about President Obama, they mostly have to do with him being "unqualified" or being the "Affirmative Action President". Despite the fact that the man was a Constitutional Professor, many complaints complaint from conservative whites claim he knows nothing about the Constitution.

White people complain that black people don't value education or job or independence (which to them means not accepting welfare even if it means being hungry and homeless).

But then when we do send our kids to school, they do everything to keep them or discriminate against them when they're there.

When we do go on to college, we're accused of not having got there on our own merits but must be on some sort of  "Special Scholarship" or that a college must have lowered it's standards to let us in.

And when we do graduate from college and enter the workforce, it's harder for us to find employment, harder for us to keep it (we are the last hired and the first fired) and to add insult to injury - white people will always assume that whatever job we have, we didn't truly earn - someone just had to fill a quota.

So it goes: Akward Black Girl couldn't be good because it's good. It had to be chosen only because of white pity or some misguided attempt to "even the playing field".

White people: you can't have it both ways. If black people go out and do all the things you swear up and down they need to do to assimilate into this country, then why the hell are you still pissed when we are successful?



Comments

Popular Posts