Mothers and Daughters

I told Teen Arabella, quite plainly, NOT to wear her black boots w/ high heels to school. There was just enough snow to make the cold walk to school slick and the tile floors at school are not safe for high heels and quick stepping teenagers. However when our neighbor's car horn sounded, generously offering a ride to school, she dashed out of the house before I could see what she had on.

Suspicious, I went into her room & sure enough, her sturdy Timbalands were sitting on the floor. I gathered them up & took them to school, determined to confront her & teach her a lesson about listening to her mother. I clumped to the school office, got her homeroom number and soldiered on in my motherly task.

When I found her, I held out the Timbs, looking pointedly down at her feet only to see that she had on a pair of pink & gold tennis shoes which perfectly complemented her pink sweater.

Teen Arabella looked at the Timbs in my hands & said dryly, without missing a beat, "While you were looking for those, you should have looked for the black boots I left in my room. Hey, and since you're here, can I have $10?"

I sheepishly handed her $10 and hugged her before I left, taking the Timbs with me. Before I got to my car, I was grinning broadly.

All those stories from the bible about love, fidelity and filial loyalty jumbled into my head. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and he will not depart from it." Honor they father and mother that they days may be long in the land which the Lord, our God, has given thee."

I wonder what will be on her Christmas list this year?


***

Comments

Post a Comment

Everyone on the planet but NoSlappz is welcome to post a comment here.

Popular Posts