Ask a Slave with Lizzie Mae



Oh my. Every now and again, something comes along that gives me the smallest glimmer of hope. For years, I used to read the Wikipedia entry about Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondent's Dinner back in 2006 as my favorite bedtime story.

Right now the gleam of light in the darkness is the web series, Ask a Slave with Lizzie Mae.

This is the kind of witty satire that keeps me from being a serial nut puncher. So many conservatives I'd like to punch in the nuts, so little time.

In the meantime, it's stuff like Ask a Slave that keeps me from going to federal prison. At the time of this writing, there are six episodes. I hope they make more. They are golden.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I actually had the pleasure of seeing Miss Dungey perform in person when I went to the Smithsonian. I was visiting DC for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity. I spent the day before at the American History Museum at the Smithsonian. I fell in love with DC that day. It was lovely fall weather, my traveling plans went off without a hitch and I felt steeped in history just being in our nation's capitol.

Of course some people don't like the series. Some black people are offended by anyone making light of slavery. Some white people feel that harping on that slavery thing after all this time is just beating a dead slave, I mean horse.

And there are those of every shade, like me, who get and think it's funny as hell. Because it is. It's funny....because truthiness can also be a whistle in the dark that keeps the fear and hellishness of racism at bay.

Go Lizzie.

Comments

Popular Posts