2 Down, 1 To Go

Well I'll be damned. I went to visit my daughter at college this weekend and she called me tonight informing that one of her aunt's on her father's side of the family passed away. Unfortunately she can't go to the funeral because she is in the middle of a hectic finals week but she asked me to go and I will.

Her phone call woke me from a sound sleep and as I hung up, the light was glowing a bit red from the tv and the banner at the bottom announced that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.

My sleepy eyes widened. I did a double take. I told CollegeArabella. She said, I know. I heard. Crazy right?

And so like the Challenger Explosion and the tragedy of 9/11 that precipitated a decade of war that changed America forever....I will always remember where I was when I heard that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.

Oh hell, the President's on....brb.

******

Wow. The President said a lot of shizz but the main thing I remember is that "This speaks to the determination of the American people."

Which means: hide your kids, hide your wife. We gone find you. We gone find you. So run tell that, homeboy. If America says they gone kill you, they gone kill you.

'

Mission Accomplished. For real this time.

******




"So what do you think about My President now?" my mother asked. Admittedly gloating, because we've had some battle royales over the job President Obama has been doing. She feels he can do no wrong and that everything he does and every concession he has made is justified in lieu of unreasonable GOP obstruction. I have had my doubts about how far Obama really fought for a lot of his ideals; but I watched President Obama at the correspondents dinner last night humbly admit that his idealism just didn't match up with the reality of the job. That somber nod gave me pause and will probably temper my judgements of him from now on. Maybe.

I'll tell you what I told her. Honestly, I still have my issues with the man but right now, my issues with him don't matter. It's like if your kid annoys you off but then brings home all A's on their report card. You get over it and give your kid a big hug, maybe even some ice cream.

Eventually though, you're going to get back around to addressing those things that made you mad: warantless wiretapping, Patriot Act, closing Gitmo and the other secret prisons. But for right now, it's enough that Donald Trump thank God, will truly never be president and Osama Bin Laden, mass murderer the world over, is dead, soon to be picked to pieces and buried.



Obama put Trump, the GOP and the TeaBaggers in their place at the 2011 White House Correspondence dinner (is it just me or did Obama's blistering schtick have the stamp of Stephen Colbert's writers all over it?) and now Osama Bin Laden is dead.

All that's left is 2012 and I'll be damned if, the way Obama's luck is going right now, that won't be much of a problem at all.

2 Down, 1 to Go.

Comments

Popular Posts