We Hold These Truths To Be Self Evident....

This is the way I understand America:

Each individual is a free and independent citizen and we are created equal under the eyes of the law and our Creator.

We do not have a system of royal powers. Our President is not a King. Our Senators and Congresspeople are not our betters. In fact, the roles are reversed and they are to represent the will of the people and they are our public servants.

We have certain rights, namely the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We have the right to travel in our neighborhoods, cities and homes without being questioned as to why we do so. We have the right to improve our personal situations as best we can through education and hard work.

I'm writing this to remind myself that this is the way it should be but I also feel that each of these, particularly in the past month, have either been seriously curtailed or flat out denied to me by our government. I feel that some have been denied to me or others solely because of the color of our skin or gender.

And each time this has happened, there has been truly no recourse or contention I, or they, could make without the threat of being detained further or futher punished or questioned simply for "making a fuss."

What is the good of rights if they can't be spoken up for or enforced? Frankly I'm tired of being treated as a potential criminal or terrorist "for my own safety" or "for my own good."

Are we free or not?

*****

Comments

Popular Posts